Relationships Australia offers family and relationship counselling as well as a range of specialist counselling services.
Most of our counselling services are conducted face-to-face. We also offer online and telephone counselling for people in remote areas (in some states) and for those with special needs, as well ‘farm gate’ services at clients’ homes for remote rural clients.
Family and relationship counselling
Counselling can help a couple to:
- understand the relationship they currently share and how they feel about each other
- rediscover why they were attracted in the first place
- find out what they want from their relationship and from each other
- consider how both parties contribute to the current relationship
- identify what they are prepared to do to make the relationship work.
Counsellors don’t make judgements on who is right or wrong; they don’t tell clients what to do; and they don’t try to persuade people to stay together or to separate.
To find out more about our counselling services or to make an appointment, contact the Relationships Australia office in your state or territory.
Counselling for separating/divorcing couples
Counselling programs can help people who are separating and/or divorcing, to deal with their grief and anger, so they can move forward with a sense of purpose and plans for the future. Counselling may help you to:
- look at the changing nature of your relationship
- manage the grief and loss associated with a relationship breakdown
- assess the real value of anger
- identify a pathway for the separation
- learn about acceptance and ways to attain it
- learn to be single again
- gain the strength to consider a new and sustaining relationship.
Counselling and working through the problems of separation with someone who has no personal involvement can help people through this difficult time.
In reality, many people live happy, fulfilled lives following a relationship breakdown. Some people choose to re-partner and many do not. There is no right way.
Online relationship counselling
Relationships Australia offers a service where you can chat privately and securely about family or relationship issues with an online professional counsellor.
Specialist counselling services
Relationships Australia provides a range of specialist counselling services. Please note that not all the services listed below are available in all states and territories. Please contact the Relationships Australia office nearest you to find out how they can help you.
Sexual Concerns Service
Relationships Australia provides a specialist sexual concerns counselling service to both individuals and couples. Some of the issues that can be addressed include differences in levels of sexual desire or loss of sexual desire, painful intercourse, inability to achieve orgasm or erection difficulties. Sexual functioning can be affected by chronic illness, surgery, disability, the ageing process, child sexual abuse and many other issues.
Contact the Relationships Australia office nearest you to find out more.
Pre-Parenthood Relationship Check-Up Service
A pre-parenthood relationship check-up involves sessions with a counsellor to review how your relationship is going and where the opportunities to build on strengths exist.
The service includes a:
- relationship questionnaire to identify and explore relationship issues
- relationship booklet to take home and read
- pre-parenthood relationship seminar to help you prepare your relationship for the demands of parenting and hear how others are responding to the same life event.
Contact the Relationships Australia office nearest you to find out if they offer this service.